Steps of Process
CMMI Risk Management Goals
PolicyAF Policy Directive 90-9: Operational Risk Management, 1 April 2000
AFI 90-901: Operational Risk Management, 1 April 2000
AFMC Instruction 90-902: Operational Risk Management, Dec 2007
Tools & TechniquesRiskNav
TrainingRisk Process Orientation
Detailed Risk Process
ExamplesSample Risk Management Plan
Process Lessons Learned
A process that includes translating requirements, integrating team inputs, managing interfaces and technical risk, transitioning technology, and verifying that designs meet operational needs.
- Are the design implications sufficiently considered in concept exploration?
- Is concept mature enough for development to begin?
- If not, have trade studies been done to clarify critical components?
- Did trade studies include production risk?
- Will the system satisfy user requirements?
- Is the design cost effective?
- Does the design rely on new or untried technology or exotic materials to achieve performance objectives?
- Will maturing or unproven technologies be adequately developed before production?
- Is production funding available at the right time in the development effort?
- Has the standard operating environment been established?
- What engineering processes are being used on the program?
- Is the system design fault-tolerant?
- What is the growth/expandability range of the system in development?
- Does the development align with the operational concept?
- How closely does the design environment match the actual operational environment?
- Is the system being benchmarked at appropriate milestones?
- Who has configuration control?
- Are interfacing systems being developed in parallel?
- Are reliability, maintainability, availability requirements being met?
- Are requirements stable?
- Can design survive rate production without degradation?
- Are stress and strength/stress analyses performed to ensure that applied values in derating and safety for component parts and materials meet criteria?
- Are "worst case" tolerance analyses performed to ensure that system performance remains within specified limits?
- Are analysis results result in appropriate design revisions to reduce risk?
- Are parts and materials tested early in the design at intended operational stress levels?
Back to top